Louisville Sports Commission Press Releases
June 18, 2014
Derby City BMX Celebrating Olympic Day with Local Races, Kids’ Activities and Free Lunch
Event in Louisville is one of more than 700 nationwide celebrating birth of modern Olympic Games
Louisville, Ky. – June 18, 2014 – The spirit of the Olympic movement rolls into Louisville in celebration of Olympic Day as Derby City BMX hosts its annual “Open House” comprised of BMX races, practice and kid’s activities on June 21 at E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park BMX Track.
May 16, 2014
Louisville, Ky. – April 22, 2014 – John Sackfield, who purchased his ticket soon after sales began, is the winner of the Louisville Sports Commission’s fourth annual Golden Ticket raffle.
Sackfield purchased one of 350 raffle tickets for $100 and won the Golden Ticket grand prize – two tickets to each of the following sporting events:
- 2014 Kentucky Derby and Oaks
- 2014 PGA Championship
- All 2014-15 University of Kentucky regular season home basketball and football games
- All 2014-15 University of Louisville women’s regular season home basketball games
- 2014 Quaker State 400 at the Kentucky Speedway
- 2014 Louisville Bats regular season home games
- 2015 Paul Hornung Award Banquet.
The winning ticket was pulled from the 350 entries on April 22 on Great Day Live! on WHAS-11 by Brett Sterba, director of the 2014 PGA Championship.
April 9, 2014
Louisville, Ky. – April 9, 2014 – The Louisville Sports Commission’s popular fall running series will return in 2014 – this time with a splash of bourbon. The commission today released the 2014 Fall Runathon schedule, featuring three races that provide unique courses and quality experiences for runners and walkers, while promoting healthy lifestyles for people of all ages and fitness levels.
March 20, 2014
The 66th National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA) National Tournament will be held in Louisville, Ky., April 4-6. This is the second time Louisville has hosted the NWBA sporting event, in which more than 1,000 athletes and 300 coaches representing 82 teams from across the country will compete.
Divisions competing include Championship Division, Division III, Junior Prep Division and Junior 10’ Division (NIT and Varsity). The Championship Division and Division III consist of adults, including co-ed teams. The Junior 10’ Division (NIT and Varsity) features high school and middle school athletes, and Junior Prep Division features middle school and grade school athletes.
May 16, 2014
March 5, 2014 – Louisville, Ky. – The Louisville Sports Commission announced the kick-off of its 2014 Louisville Insiders membership program, which provides members with benefits including “inside access” to Louisville’s sports world.
The 2014 calendar of events includes the following:
- March 26: Behind the scenes tour of KFC Yum! Center that includes view from the arena floor, practice basketball court, media center, bunker suites and more
- April: Backside track tour at Churchill Downs prior to Derby
- July: Louisville Bats batting practice / special Louisville Insiders seating at home game
- September: Behind the scenes tour of new Dr. Mark & Cindy Lynn Soccer Stadium
- November/December: Louisville Sports Commission Annual Breakfast
Other membership benefits include:
- Special drawing for two tickets to the Louisville Legends Open VIP private reception
- Special drawing for two tickets to the 2015 Paul Hornung Award Banquet
- Ten percent discount off the price of any Louisville Sports Commission-owned event including its Fall Runathon
- Volunteer opportunities in select positions at high profile sports events such as the Louisville Ironman
Membership costs are $100 annually. Funds raised support the Louisville Sports Commission’s commitment to attract, host and create quality sports events in the Louisville area that enhance the quality of life for our citizens and brand our community as one of the best cities in the U.S. for sports.